Saturday, February 11, 2012

burlap brooch display



I had some things to take to Goodwill this morning and made the mistake of going inside to shop afterwards. I think I came out with almost as much as I donated... haha. I wish you got credits for donating stuff that you could spend there - that would be so greatttt.



Among other scores [brand new Banana Republic blouse with the tags still on for $3.50!], I hit the jackpot with these two frames [one without anything in it = less work for me :D]. I’ve been wanting to attempt a jewelry storage picture frame for a while, so these were perfect!

first attempt: smaller picture frame

materials -
  • picture frame
  • pliers to remove old staples
  • staple gun + staples
  • burlap
  • contrast fabric [I used the edge of some old sheets so I wouldn’t have to sew anything… laziness ftw!]
process -



Remove any leftover staples from frame with pliers. Cut strips of contrasting fabric to a little more than the approximate width and arrange to your liking, then use the staple gun to attach. Staple guns are kind of simultaneously terrifying and way too much fun to use… haha.



I kinda like the frame done just like this… could be interesting wall art if you made a few using similar fabrics and clustered them together :D More things to file away in my mind under the ‘future apartment decor’ category!



Cut a piece of burlap sized about an inch wider all the way around than the opening. I placed the frame on top of the burlap and traced around the outside edge to give myself plenty of extra fabric. Use the staple gun to attach to the inside of one side of the frame, then do the opposite side, making sure to stretch the fabric nice and tight. Once those two sides are done, repeat for the other two sides.



This is what it should look like when you’re done stapling. After that, you can cut the extra burlap so it’s flush with the back of the frame. Just to make sure it won’t unravel, I went around the inside edge with hot glue.



And now you’ve got a fancy jewelry holder! I used this one for my brooches since I always forget about them hiding in my jewelry box. Stay tuned for the next attempt with the blue frame - I’m about halfway through that one because I had to wait for glue to dry - but it involves disagreements with crazy intense table saws and me breaking out my Dremel from its retirement since third year studio, fun times :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment