Sunday, February 5, 2012

fabric scrap flowers


One of my New Year’s resolutions was to knock a dent in the ridiculous amount of fabric I’ve accumulated over the past couple of years. It’s almost hoarder status - I even keep tiny scraps on the off chance I might find something to do with them. Guess it’s a good thing I did, because I keep seeing flower pins/brooches everywhere on Pinterest, so I thought I’d try my own version today, because Super Bowl commercials can only entertain me for so long :D

materials -
 

  • fabric scraps, cut into strips - 1/2” - 1” seems to work the best. I like using a couple different sizes for variation]
  • felt scraps - they’re the backing so you can use any color
  • hot glue gun - I’m not such a fan of hot glue because it’s so stringy but since it sets up so quickly it’s probably the easiest to use
  • scissors
  • pins/barrettes/whatever you want to put your flowers on

process -


Put a dab of glue in the middle of your felt scrap. Attach one end of the fabric strip to the glue.



Begin twisting the fabric and wrapping it around the middle, securing with more hot glue.



Continue wrapping and gluing until you reach the desired size.


Once you get to the size you want, trim excess felt, then secure fabric to the back with some glue.

You can stop here and put your flower on a pin or whatever, or you can make several and cluster them together to your liking, then glue them together.


I decided to make a brooch for my first attempt, but I think I’m gonna make some smaller ones and glue them to bobby pins or a headband. They’d be cute as a necklace, too! So many possibilities :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment