Monday, February 13, 2012

i'm never making another earring holder - aka jewelry organization pt. 2



That’s probably an exaggeration…. haha. This one should be big enough to fit all my earrings for a looong time anyway! This attempt was with the blue frame I got at Goodwill the other day.



Back story: I have quite a few earrings, but most of the time they hide in my jewelry box so I never think about them when I’m getting dressed. A lot of my earrings have stud posts as opposed to the fish hook kind, so, while I liked the idea of the picture frame as earring storage, I didn’t think that’d be the most convenient kind of storage for those, since you’d have to get the back off the other side of the frame. Sooo long story short [they don’t teach you in design school that no one in the real world really cares what your rationale for your project is haha] I decided to cut/reassemble the frame so it’d stand up on my dresser.



This gave me an excuse to see if I still could work a table saw :) After removing the picture/glass/assorted nails, I took the frame, cut it in half, then tilted the blade to a 30 degree angle and cut the ends. I wish we had a chop saw, that would have probably been much easier [aka more cooperative] in that it wouldn’t have spit back leftover pieces in my general direction. Regardless, I made it through with all appendages intact and my frame more or less cut the way I wanted… had to sand a few spots, but that took about 5 seconds with the Dremel. Not gonna lie, I kinda love power tools :D Then I glued the pieces together, let them dry overnight, stapled the burlap into the frame, et voila!



Projects like this make me miss studio/the design process, but hey, I can do stuff like this on my own time now and not have to worry about being graded on it! Now to finish putting the rest of my earrings on there…

0 comments:

Post a Comment